“Critically intervene in a way that challenges and changes.”
― Bell Hooks
Learn how to be a more effective advocate for LGBTQ mental health equity by better understanding the California Public Mental Health System and how/where to engage in change efforts. Learn to articulate the right to LGBTQ affirming and culturally appropriate mental health care. Learn how mental health decisions are made and funding allocated in local communities and practical steps for being a mental health policy advocate.
- 2020 Webinar Recording
To request an Advocacy Workshop in your county, email Mandy Taylor at email@example.com
Summary of findings and policy recommendations from #Out4MentalHealth’s 2019 State of LGBTQ Communities Report and statewide survey, in collaboration with the California LGBTQ Legislative Caucus.
You can use the Score Card template above to assess your own County’s LGBTQ+ Policies. If you would like to collaborate on creating a formal Score Card for your county, please contact our Behavioral Health Equity Manager, Mandy Taylor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can request printed copies of #Out4MentalHealth fact sheets to hand out at events or provide at your organization’s location. Fill out this form and email email@example.com. We will mail you the requested materials. You can also preview or download all of our fact sheets using the links below.
- Pronouns: Why, how, when and what if I mess up?
- Finding a Therapist: You Deserve Care from an LGBTQ-Affirming Provider
- Who What Where and How of Mental Health Services
- LGBTQ ACES-Fact-Sheet
- Creating Visibility: Why and How You Should Collect Data on Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity
- Importance of Access to Gender Affirming Care
- LGBTQ Youth & the School-to-Prison-Pipeline
- Making Public Comment
- CA County/Local Boards & Commissions Websites
- Intersex Mental Health Policy
- How to make your LGBTQ+ Group Intersex Friendly
- SOGIE 101 Fact Sheet
Knowledge and Skill Building
- Lobbying Guidelines and Resources for 501c3 Non-Profits
- Public Mental Health Delivery and Financing in California (PDF)
- Overview of DHCS Mental Health and Substance Use Services (PDF)
- Overview of MHSOAC Mental Health Services
- California’s Strategic Plan for Suicide Prevention 2020-2025
Additional Advocacy Resources
Government Administration Entities:
- California Department of Healthcare Services, Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Services
- California Mental Health Oversight and Accountability Commission (MHSOAC)
- California Behavioral Health Planning Council (CBHPC)
- California Department of Public Health, Office of Health Equity – Reducing Disparities Project
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)